Social Security Information

Following the death of a loved one comes with more than just grief; survivors are often left caring for the estate. A question frequently asked of funeral directors has to do with how to handle their loved one’s Social Security benefits. As your local Fort Worth cremation provider, Simple Cremation is here to help clarify questions that you and your family might have and to help point you in the right direction.

Reporting a death to Social Security is something that your Simple Cremation funeral director will handle for you automatically and regardless their benefit status. This report is submitted electronically at the time that the death certificate is formerly received by the State of Texas from our offices. The Social Security Administration will typically act on this notification without any further documentation or reporting needed from the family.

You should contact the Social Security Administration if you have any specific questions or if another person’s benefits could be affected by the death of a loved one.

You can reach the SSA by calling 1-800-772-1213.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who reports a death to social security?
As stated above, your funeral director at Simple Cremation, a Fort Worth cremations service provider, will send notification to the Social Security Administration on your behalf. Again, you may still want to contact them once you receive death certificates to make sure that benefits were handled appropriately.

2. Will Social Security take this month’s payment back?
Probably. Social Security does not pay for the month that death occurs in. This means that even if someone dies on the last day of the month it’s still very likely their payment will be due back to the SSA. Get in touch with your local Fort Worth & Dallas cremation provider - Simple Cremation - for any further questions.

3. Does Social Security help with funeral arrangement expenses?
While there is a $255 death benefit paid by the Social Security Administration it is only offered to a surviving spouse or other dependents if they meet certain criteria. This benefit is not paid to the funeral home, however, and the eligible party has to apply to receive this payment by calling 1-800-772-1213.

4. What happens to my loved one’s Medicaid or Medicare account?
The Social Security Administration will handle resolving these accounts once they’re notified of the death. This is sometimes also true for other government benefits such as disability, food stamps, or housing but, again, you’ll want to contact Social Security directly to confirm that these accounts were handled properly.

5. What happens to the rest of a person's Social Security money after they die?
The surviving spouse, minor child, or other close relatives might be eligible to receive a portion or all of the decedent’s benefit amount. If a qualified relative (spouse, minor child, etc.) does not exist then the funds remain in the Social Security Trust.

If you decide that a call or visit to the Social Security Administration is necessary you’ll want to be sure you’re prepared with the following information:

Social security number, date of birth, date of death, place of death, marital status, information on surviving spouse or next of kin, and information on any surviving dependents. Most of this is on your loved one’s death certificate which, if available, you should bring with you or have ready for you to reference.

Simple Cremation proudly provides cremation services in Fort Worth & Dallas, Texas.